P-Mate: “The reliable stand & pee device”
Yes, you read correctly: a stand-and-pee option for women!! Let me introduce to you P-Mate by P-Mate USA.
At first, I was a little hesitant about the idea of forgoing my usual squat-and-hope-for-the-best method that I have known and loved since I was a kid. It’s tried-and-true for gals needing to relieve themselves in the backcountry, right?! But, I love new takes on old tasks, and must say, after using this product, I am more than willing to take on this new style!
Grandma Coury used to say “nature is calling” when she was in need of a restroom, and to this day, I can see her scampering off to the loo when I think about that phrase. But the funny thing about our Sunday afternoon jaunt, when I unpacked my own P-Mate, nature really was calling – because, well, I was standing beneath a spruce tree a mile into our hike.
Needless to say, I answered the call.
According to their website:
P-Mate is a disposable, recyclable, cardboard device that allows women to discreetly relieve their bladders while standing—no dropping your drawers required.
And I’m here to tell you that is, in fact, true!
P-Mate came about to help women pee descreetly and with ease on backcountry trips, traveling abroad, running rivers, and everything in between.
A quick disclaimer: I am part of a gear reviewer network and this product was provided to me free of charge, however, the company did not request a positive review and I am not compensated for the published review. Rather, I am simply provided a product to test out and share my feedback and an unbiased write up with all of you 🙂
This past Labor Day, our family decided to go the spontaneous route and not make any “plans”. We went into the rare four-day weekend with few expectations other than to relax, explore, and take the days as they came. Thankfully, we were met with good times and an opportunity to try out the P-Mate.
As we hiked along the lakeside trail at Big Meadows Reservoir, I took advantage of a break in the rain showers to relieve myself of the morning’s half pot of coffee. But, I have to admit, when I first placed the P-Mate into position, I was so skeptical. I opened the Ziploc-style bag they come in, pulled one out and thought to myself: How is this thing going to work without leaking all over the place? I better not get pee down my leg and on my new tights! I’m glad I don’t have sandals on! And so on…
Then, I popped it open (it is folded flat at first, but give a squeeze and it opens easily), put it in place, and let ‘er rip! This is when I immediately started to laugh…uncontrollably!
I could not believe what I was seeing: a steady stream flowing AWAY from my body! SUCCESS!
Once I regained control of my composure, the full bladder I had at the beginning of our hike steadily emptied in a glorious, simple, and discreet flow under a lovely stand of spruce trees.
- Fit: The P-Mate cups perfectly to your body – I had no problem with leaks, whatsoever.
- Material: No plastic means it’s disposable/biodegradable – even though it has a wax coating, the cardboard will biodegrade!
- Finish: The wax coating is great – I was able to focus on the task at hand and not think about anything leaking through the seams.
- Size: Convenient size and super packable – the P-Mate folds flat, so I slipped it in an inside pocket on my bag.
- Confident & Comfortable: No innocent bystander casualties – i.e., my shoes, new tights, etc. stayed dry and I was able to get away with using the P-Mate without showing off my rear end to any wildlife or unsuspecting onlookers (five stars on that one!!).
- Cost: You get a 5-pack for the price of a fancy coffee! (~$6+shipping)
- Storage: Remember to bring an extra Ziploc or something to stow the used P-Mate in – I forgot, but gave it a quick rinse and put it in a different pocket than the others.
The P-Mate is super easy to use, convenient in a lot of different settings and definitely worth checking out. To get yours, visit their website at www.pmateusa.com!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received P-Mate for free from P-Mate USA in consideration for a gear review.